Supervised Visitation/Supervised Parenting Time
We believe that each parent in a child’s life is important. There are times when the conflict in a family makes it difficult to maintain a sense of safety for children. With dignity and respect for all individuals involved, Traverse Counseling & Consulting seeks to support families by providing a neutral and safe place for children to have contact with a non-custodial parent and by providing thorough documentation so that each parent and other professionals involved in supporting the family are able to get a transparent lens into the contact between parent and child as well as other family dynamics that may be occurring.
What is Supervised Parenting:
What to expect of Traverse Counseling & Consulting:
- A safe, comfortable, nurturing and neutral environment for children to have contact with a non-custodial parent
- Thorough documentation of all interactions between parent(s) and child(ren)
- Staff that are trained to provide Supervised Parenting services that meet Supervised Visitation Network and Minnesota Standards for Non-Professional and Professional Supervised Visitation
Tips for the Parent being supervised:
Supervised Parenting is about providing a space to have contact between you and your child. Although there is a professional present to document your time and interactions, this is about your relationship with your child(ren).
- Be on time arriving 5 minutes before your time with your child is scheduled to begin.
- Be aware of your child’s developmental needs.
- Be ready to play at their level – we have a few books and games on site but you may bring age appropriate games, toys and books to share with your child during your visit.
- Enjoy your time with your child.
- Do not engage in conversation with your child during the visit about family conflict or disagreements between yourself and the other parent or the court.
Tips for the Parent bringing their child to Supervised Parenting Time:
- Be on time.
- Prepare your child for the time with the other parent by discussing it ahead of time.
- Parental anxiety can be contagious for children. Manage your own anxiety about the supervised parenting session so that your children don’t become more anxious.
- Do not engage in conversation with your child before or after the visit about family conflict or disagreements between yourself and the other parent or the court.
- Schedule an intake for parent being supervised to orient to the policies and the process.
- Schedule an intake for the custodial parent to provide an orientation to the policies and the process.
- Schedule an intake for child(ren) to familiarize them with our facility and staff.
- Consultation with other professionals involved in supporting your family i.e. Guardian ad Litem or Parenting Consultant
- Upon completion of the steps above families may begin scheduling Supervised Parenting Sessions.
Supervised Parenting services are available by appointment. To get started in Supervised Parenting, each parent needs to schedule a separate intake appointment. Call our office at 952.595.5967 to get started or to find out more about the other services that Traverse Counseling & Consulting provides to serve families.