Has someone in your family struggled with a Major Mental Illness?
Are you concerned about how your family will function after discharge from treatment or a hospitalization?
Do you worry about falling back into unhealthy patterns of conflict, blame and mistrust?
Is your family member unable or unwilling to address their Mental Illness?
When it comes to Mental Illness for an individual, family and loved ones have an important role in supporting and challenging their loved one. It is difficult to know how and when to support and when to challenge. And finding the right balance can be very difficult when someone that you care about has been diagnosed with a Major Mental Illness. Often there is a sense of fear and anxiety felt by family members at the time of transition. Children, especially, may suffer silently while families are in the grasp of mental illness.
To move beyond the important educational components provided in treatment programs, families frequently benefit from additional support, to plan for long-term change in how the family relationships function.
Our Therapists work with families to develop a treatment plan that:
- Includes all willing participants – it is possible that the person diagnosed with a Major Mental Illness may participate or they may be unable or unwilling. Our therapists can work with a family in either situation.
- Resets the emotional and physical safety critical for all members, especially young children
- Normalizes ways to discuss the mental health conditions present in the family from a healthy and supportive perspective
- Identifies the needs and path to relationship repair, including assessing the needs of children and responding to their voice
- Assists family members in creating functional and healthy communication patterns, coping skills, and problem-solving processes
Family Therapy is designed to be flexible in meeting family needs over a short and/or long period of time.
The Therapists at Traverse Counseling & Consulting are equipped to assist you in navigating your way to a healthier functioning family dynamic. To learn more about Family Therapy at Traverse Counseling & Consulting, call our office or send an email to email@example.com.