Surviving the Turbulent Transition to Independent Management
Is your teen’s diabetes care leaving you feeling anxious and frustrated?
Are you struggling to keep yourself afloat?
Traverse Counseling & Consulting is hosting an educational workshop for parents of teens who are beginning or in the process of transiting to independent management.
When: October 27, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (light refreshments provided)
Where: 1000 Shelard Parkway, St. Louis Park, 55426 – Main Floor Conference Room
Who: Parents of adolescents with type 1 diabetes and ages 11 to 18
Cost: $40 for an individual parent, $60 for both parents
In this workshop, you will:
- Gain an understanding about adolescent brain development and age-appropriate developmental milestones, including appropriate expectations for diabetes management.
- Learn a framework for the process of transitioning your teen to independent management while addressing the emotional and relational challenges.
- Discuss ways in which families can get stuck in the process and strategies for getting unstuck, such as:
- Improving communication skills and problem solving skills
- Developing stronger parental alignment and leadership
- Helping parents and their teen develop coping strategies
- Improving all interpersonal relationships in the family