Children of Divorce/Two-Household Families
Are you a parent who is divorced or separated and have a child or teenager that you are concerned about?
Are you concerned that the family dynamic is/has caused your child distress?
Is your teen experiencing stress, anxiety or depression, and you’re not sure how best to support them?
We have an expertise in working with children in divorced and two-household families. Additionally, teenagers react differently to divorce than younger children, and you may notice your teen acting in concerning ways. It is normal for a teenager to “push back” on parents and rules and boundaries. However, dual household dynamics can make it difficult for parents to adequately support and challenge their teenager to lead them through these difficulties. Your teen may be acting angry or they may be withdrawing. They may have less interest in school, activities and responsibilities. They may increase dangerous activities. We understand that parents may feel inadequate to help their teen or to support them through these challenges.
We’re here to help! We specialize in working with teens and children and their families that are or have experienced divorce or separation. We work with your teen, and we also work closely with you as the parent, to assist you in managing these challenges and establishing a path for your teen’s healthy development.
Here are some additional areas the therapists at TCC specialize in (find out more here):
- Behavior/Oppositional Issues
- Exceptionalism on all ends of the spectrum
- Family Conflict
- Grief & Loss
- School refusal/avoidance
- Suicidal ideation
- Substance use
- Video Game Addiction
Read some of our blogs about Children & Teens:
- Kids and Transitions ~ By Emilee Rodriguez, MA, LMFT
- Launching Teens ~ By Mathew Meyers, MA, LMFT
- Summer Anxiety for Two Home Kids ~ By Emilee Rodriguez, MA, LMFT
- Children’s Love Language ~ By Mathew Meyers, MA, LMFT
- Cookies & College ~ Michael Borowiak, MSW, LICSW
- 2020-2021 Covid School Year – By Callie Albaugh, MA, LAMFT
- What is Healthy Tech Use During Covid 19? – By Mathew Meyers, MA, LMFT